Sunday, May 4, 2014

Homemade Tater Tots



Guys, I discovered you can make tater tots at home! This is the best/worst thing that has ever happened to me. Best because they were delicious, and a totally different texture than the store bought ones, and super easy to make. Worst because they are delicious, they were super easy, and I could probably eat multiple servings multiple nights a week and not get bored of eating them. Here is an up close photo of the delicious final project:

 

The process is really simple. Bake some potatoes, shred them up, season, and fry. I looked at some recipes online for some guidance, but ultimately just made it up. We recently bought a new personal size deep fryer with some remaining gift cards from the wedding, and I had been waiting to try it out.

The potato mixture. I baked mine before shredding, because nothing is worse than biting into a tot only to find raw potato inside. When I shredded them using a grater, they ended up forming more of a mashed potato consistency. It ended up being delicious, and Hubby mentioned he liked it more than the typical shreds. Next time I might try baking them for half the time to get the original texture, but who knows, these were delicious.

I formed the tots then placed them on a baking sheet while heating up the oil (took about 10 minutes to shape about 45 tots). I put my playdoh skills to work, rolling them into snakes then smushing the ends to get the tot shape.


Fried in 350 degree oil for about 4-5 minutes. Fried them in batches of 15 in my mini fryer. Could have probably done more, but I wanted them to have room to circulate.
Put them on some paper towels over a plate to drain off excess oil, and sprinkled with shredded cheddar cheese while still warm so it would melt. I also topped them with a siracha ranch dressing when I ate them. Delicious!


Home Made Tater Tots
2 large potatoes (I used Yukon Gold because that's what I had on hand, but most recipes I found suggested Russet)
1 tbs flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
enough vegetable oil to fill your pan or fryer

Bake potatoes. I usually do this in the microwave because its super fast and easy. Just wash them, poke a few holes, and stick them in the microwave for about 10 minutes, or until soft, checking and rotating them every 2 or 3 minutes. Stick them in a bowl of cold water to cool until you can handle them. Shred them using a box grater (I think the food processor would have pulverized them too much). As I shredded, the peels mostly peeled off on their own, and I threw away the large pieces of peel. Mix in the flour and spices by hand. Begin to heat oil to 350 degrees, and then shape them into tot shapes. When the oil has heated it should bubble vigorously when you drop in one of your tots. Put them in the oil for 4-5 minutes. I didn't turn mine, but if you are frying them in a shallow pan instead of a fryer you might need to do so. remove from oil, and place on paper towels to drain. Top with whatever your heart desires!






No comments:

Post a Comment