Saturday, August 23, 2014

Funfetti Cookie Disaster


Today we were invited to a game night, and asked to bring some snacks. I decided to do a re-try of my bourbon salted caramel ice cream, and then make some funfetti cookies. The ice cream still didn't come out perfect. The bowl for the ice cream maker did not have enough time to freeze, and so the ice cream wasnt setting up enough. I decided to forgo the bourbon (since it can effect freezing ability due to the alcohol) and just made a salted caramel version that did most of the setting up in the freezer. Not a big deal.

The big disaster came later. I made the funfetti cookies according to this recipe which are super simple and super delicious. I set my oven timer for the minimum of 8 minutes, and walked away to watch some TV. timer goes off, I come back to check, and smoke is pouring out of my oven. I open it up to find this:


 

The worst when baking cookies. I honestly am not sure what happened, because the tops and insides of the cookies are cooked perfectly, and the bottoms are crispy charcoal. I checked other versions of the recipe, but they all use the same oven temp, and I have never had problems with my oven running too hot before.


I definitely didn't want to serve these, so I sent my husband to the store for another box of funfetti (even though this is against my whole life philosophy) while I tried to google what would make only the bottoms of my cookies burn this badly. In the midst of my searching, I found a suggestion that you can grate off the burned bottoms and they will be good as new. What?!



I used the small side of my regular grater, and rubbed them on gently. They still aren't perfect, but they taste good enough that I am not embarrassed to serve them and didn't have to make another batch of cookies. I still have to figure out what's going on with the oven, but at least today's disaster was averted. 
Cookie dust anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment